Friday, April 1, 2011

April 1, 2011 - Week 5 at the MTC


Hola Familia!

Well I've decided that a mission just isn't for me and I'm coming home tomorrow... APRIL FOOLS!!! I can't believe that I'm already in my 5th week at the MTC! Time is flying! Well... Sometimes it is. Usually the days feel super long and I'm completely exhausted by the end of the day but then you realize, the week's already over? Wow! Life is good! 
I got a letter from Elder McKean yesterday and it was great to hear from him. He's so happy to be a missionary and is loving life. He said that he's never been so tired in his life but he also has never been so happy. It's hard to realize that in less than 5 weeks I'll be taking my talents to the South Beach. My companions any I have a goal to learn that phrase in Spanish and say it right before we leave! But everything is going well. Everyday is difficult but in the end it's very good! 
My companions are so great! I think that our strongest aspect is our teaching ablility. Whenever we teach we teach by the spirit and it's remarkable! Usually trios have a hard time teaching because usually one person ends up teaching the entire time but for us we've worked through that and go off of the Spirit. It's really amazing! I feel bad for Sam that he doesn't have much going on. It must be pretty boring at home I have to say... What are you guys doing?
Letter received in the mail  to Stephen and Sam dated April 1, 2011
I'm glad to hear that everything went well with the wedding and with the honeymoon. I got a postcard from Whitney and Marc from when they were in Vegas. It made me think of when we were in Vegas trying to find a post office and everyone was stressed out over the taxes. Good times! That's funny to hear about the cats and the ceiling fan. They've really gotten bigger I guess.
It was nice to hear about ward conference and the importance of the Holy Ghost. While at the MTC I've really learned a lot about the Holy Spirit and the importance that it has in our lives. In 3 Nephi it talks about when Jesus Christ came to the Americas and Christ asked what the people want Him to bless them with and they requested that they have His Holy Ghost. It's remarkable that what they desired was to have His spirit with them always. I've definitely taken the Holy Ghost for granted. I'm so grateful for the gift that our Heavenly Father has blessed us with. Learning a new language in such a short amount of time is only possible through the power of the Holy Ghost. Being taught by the Spirit is so effective and is the only way for things to happen. "Through the Power of the Holy Ghost, you can have a knowledge of all things." I know this to be true.
In a letter from President Hale today he said about our mission in Florida, "Elder Anthony Burns, a resident of South Florida for 35 years and member of the Seventy recently said of South Florida, “Never has there been a greater, more comprehensive missionary movement than what we have today.” This is really exciting to hear about. He wrote that last month there were about, I'm not sure of the exact number, but close to 60 or so people were baptized. Baptism is so important to the plan that the Father has for us.
Today in the temple, my companions and I decided to participate in sealings. It was incredible. It reminded me of when we went as a family and how memorable that moment is to me. I thought of Whitney and Marc the entire time and how amazing and how blessed they are to be sealed together for time and all eternity. I'm so happy for them to be starting a future together.
This past week one of the Elders in my district received his patriarchal blessing. It reminded me of mine and i decided to read it. I've read it a few times while I've been here and it's really strengthens me whenever I read it. I learn something every time that i read it and it truly is scripture directed to me personally. I feel of His love for me and why I'm doing what I'm doing. I encourage you all to read your blessings this week. They're very important gifts given to you from God.
I'm so excited for General Conference tomorrow! It's a special thing to be able to listen to the words of living day prophets. One of our favorite things to do as a district is to watch conference talks on the computer in our room. They are inspired men and the words that they say are directed to us and we are expected to listen. So try really hard and pray to learn things that will help you throughout your day. I know that whatever you are searching for, it will be answered if you listen and pray about the words that these men will say.
I really wish I had more time to write each week. Like usual I'll probably send a hand written letter today just to secure my award for best letter writer in the family!
I love you all so very much! I know that we are strengthened by me going on a mission. I've never felt closer to my family then when I've been on my mission. The family is so important to God and you are a remarkable strength to me everyday that I'm here. I love you all so very much! Thanks for all your prayers and support!
-Elder David Fullmer
 

Now that I'm gone what have you guys been doing? ha ha. How are you guys? I miss ya. Thanks for the letter Steve. I am glad that you and Amy are doing well. And Sam, thanks for writing me back.. not! Just kidding. I know you were both pretty busy during the wedding and everything.  How is it having Whitney being gone? It's probably pretty different. I am so excited for General Conference tomorrow. You'll get this letter afterwards but I'm still excited for it. When the Conference edition of the Ensign comes out will you guys send me a copy? Actually, could you also send a conference Liahona in Spanish, too? That would be awesome.

Another week is gone in the MTC! I can't believe it's going by so fast. Sometimes though I wish it would go by faster. Last Wednesday my district decided to ai todas hablo en espanol day. We couldn't speak any English. It was difficult sometimes because I still can't say what I really want, most of the time. It was really cool though because I realized how much Spanish I could actually say. We're going to do it every Wednesday and during the last week, were going to speak completely in Spanish for the whole week. It will be hard but it will be worth it and it will help a lot. 
I love you guys! Please write back! God be with you! Para siempre Dios este con vos! I love you guys. 

Elder David Brian Fullmer
  

No comments:

Post a Comment