Monday, January 7, 2013

Come What May and Love It (A trip to the ER)

Dear Fullmer Family,

Happy New Year! I hope you all have a bright and wonderful new year knowing that the Mayan's were wrong and that the world isn't over! Haha.

This week has definitely been an interesting one. As you probably have heard it's been interesting. One of Elder Wirthlin's talks has been of help this past week, as he said,
"Come what may and love it!" In a General Conference Address he said, "When I was young I loved playing sports, and I have many fond memories of those days. But not all of them are pleasant. I remember one day after my football team lost a tough game, I came home feeling discouraged. My mother was there. She listened to my sad story. She taught her children to trust in themselves and each other, not blame others for their misfortunes, and give their best effort in everything they attempted. When we fell down, she expected us to pick ourselves up and get going again. So the advice my mother gave to me then wasn’t altogether unexpected. It has stayed with me all my life. “Joseph,” she said, “come what may, and love it.”
I have often reflected on that counsel. I think she may have meant that every life has peaks and shadows and times when it seems that the birds don’t sing and bells don’t ring. Yet in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result.
I love this talk because with all of the challenges that we will all face in life, the way we act after the trials is directly correlated with the strength, knowledge and understanding that we will recieve as consequence. I am continually reminded of that throughout my mission. I never thought, going into my mission, that I would have the trials that I have had. However as I have reacted to them with a possitive perspective, they have influenced me in ways that I see them as blessings rather than hinderances. I have, like many of us, on occasions responded to the problems or hard situations in a negative matter only to have my attitude be equally as negative. It is much better to take what ever the Lord sees fit to put in our way and love it.

This past week has been another example of that. This past Friday night after dinner I had a pretty serious pain in my stomach. Trying to forget about it we went back to the house, and I attempted to fall asleep. I only slept for about two hours because of the pain. I woke up at 6:30, as usual but didn't have much desire to do so. I showered and tried to get ready for the day when my companion said, "Elder, you really don't look very good. You're sweating a lot. How are you feeling?" I wasn't feeling well at all. He said that he would call the nurse for the mission and she responded after talking with the area doctor that I needed to go to the emergency room. When he relayed the message to me I did not want to go. I really had no desire whatsoever to go to the ER, something I had never done nor ever wanted to do. I was frustrated and I tried to mask the pain and pretend nothing was wrong. However, as I offered a short prayer I had the feeling that I need to follow the counsel that I had been given because it was the will of the Lord. I was scared but had the confidence that God would guide my steps. We got to the ER and I admitted myself and soon saw the doctor. After talking over my symptoms and my past history and after some tests they came to the conclusion that my ulcer was acting up and had started to bleed. Luckily I went in to the doctor at that time and I received the medicine that I need to heal the ulcer. These past experiences have taught me to turn to the Lord and Remember Him.

I love Helaman chaper 12 where it talks about Remembering the Lord. The word "remember" is used more times in this chapter than any other chapter in the Book of Mormon. It's of a loving father teaching his sons on how to recieve salvation. Not only remembering Christ will save us from our sins but our challenges and afflictions as well. Just as Alma states in Alma 7 that he will go forth suffering the pains and afflictions and temptations of all men that the word might be fulfilled that he will suffer the pains and the sicknesses of his people. As we always remember him as the sacramental prayers instruct us to do we can be relieved of the challenges that we all encounter in our lives. I know that my redeemer lives and as we remember that in the midst of our afflictions rather than self pity or complain, we can recieve the peace that surpasses all understanding, which peace is only found through Him. I love you all and pray for you constantly! Have a wonderful week :)
-Elder David B. Fullmer

No comments:

Post a Comment