Monday, April 16, 2012

Weekly Update (April 16th)




Thank you for all of your letters and hearing how everything is going in SLC! I love you all and I hope you're all doing well! I forgot to thank you last week but thank you so much for the Easter package. It was perfect! We used the egg dye kit with the sisters missionaries and we had a lot of fun dying eggs last  p day. I'm excited for some Subway as well! You are the bomb!

We had a tough week as a zone only having 12 gators at church together which was the lowest since I've been here so that was a bummer. The two that we had were, who else but the people who came last week! They are so incredible! Without a doubt the most amazing investigators that I have ever met. FYI most of my letter will be about them :) We had an appointment with them last Monday and when we knocked on the door no one was home... We gave them a call and they were so sorry because they weren't home. Where were they? They were at the store buying their CHURCH CLOTHES!!! Ha ha. How amazing is that? We went by on Tuesday where he showed off his new white shirt with cufflinks and his sweet tie! He didn't know how to tie it so for part of the lesson we taught him. So much fun! We taught them the Restoration lesson where we watched the DVD about Joseph Smith. They loved it! About 10 days before we taught the lesson, the man we are teaching had a terrible dream where he was surrounded in darkness and didn't know where to go. He was scared and then a white horse came and guided him out of the darkness. I don't know if you remember but in the video, Joseph's father carves a white horse out of wood and gives it to his son.  Our investigator loved that part and knew it was there for him. Also during the first vision he couldn't get over how incredible it was. When we finished the video The woman investigator was sharing a story about something and the male investigator got the DVD ready to give it back to us but we told him it was his. A HUGE smile came on his face and put the DVD back in the TV, changed the language and fast forwarded to the first vision, leaned forward in his chair and smiled. Words cannot describe how, much I love them!


The next day we went over to teach them and the male investigator had a really special experience at work. So while he was painting a house with one of his co workers, the other guy left for a while so he thought it would be a good time to pray. So he got down, knelt on the floor and prayed. As he described his feelings he said, "I felt something right here (pointing to his chest), I had never felt it before but it felt really good. What was it?" We described to him it was him feeling the Spirit for the first time. I have never had an investigator describe the Spirit for the first time. It was a special moment for me.

Then we got a call Saturday night saying they were talking to someone on the bus about us... which scared me at first that they were talking bad about the Mormons, but then he said, "We invited her to come to church with us tomorrow. Is there enough room in the car for her?" They are incredible! All three of them came to church and it turns out the friend was baptized into the church about 10 years ago but fell away and wants to come back! They are going to be great members! They are planning to be baptized on Saturday at 10AM. Please pray for them to be baptized. They are the strongest investigators I've ever taught but we fear there will be a lot of opposition this next week.

Last Monday, like I said, we dyed eggs with the other Sisters. They surprised us by making us Easter baskets and hiding them in the chapel. It was a lot of us and reminded me of home!

Wow~! Mindy's engaged?! That's crazy! I'm not really surprised about James or Brianna though but Mindy was a shocker! I'm happy for her though. Also, I got the taxes sent in last Monday Dad. Thanks for doing that for me!

This past week we were starting to leave the house when we realized it was a very cool day, a little cloudy and since we were low on miles we took the bikes out. Where we went was pretty far from the house but we went out anyways. As we were knocking doors in the area we planned on going it started to sprinkle. We didn't think anything of it because the storms usually come and go and nothing happens. But that time it was different... It started to POUR!!! We got on our bikes as fast as we could but the apartment was so far away that we. got. soaked! I hadn't gotten rained on in a while so it was fun! My Spanish triple got wet in my backpack though. It dried pretty well though. I thought my backpack was waterproof but apparently not... Oh well! The joys of riding bikes!

Well it's been a really fun week and also one that was filled with spiritual experiences! Thank you for all of your prayers and I know that the Lord is blessing us. I love the book, "The Continuous Atonement." I as well am about half way through.  If you haven't read it you should. I've learned a lot about grace and how we are saved by grace. I've realized that there is so much I do not understand.

Here is a quote that someone said in church yesterday while she spoke about reading the Book of Mormon. "God can't guide a parked car" I like it! Well that's all I've got for this week! It was a long letter... sorry... I love you all and I know that this is the work of the Lord! There is no greater joy than helping others realize their divine potential and the blessings that are waiting for them. Have a great week!

Con mucho amor,
-Elder David B. Fullmer

P.S. Non compromiso would be no pressure. Thanks Dad~!





No comments:

Post a Comment