Thursday, May 5, 2011

May 5, 2011

(Handwritten letter received in the mail) 

I can’t believe I’m in Florida! Time has gone by so quickly and it’s time to serve in the field. Thank you for all your prayers. I know that the Lord is with me. 

So after I talked to you on the phone I’ll describe what happened going to Dallas. Everything went really well on the flight and we got into Dallas safely. The first thing that I realized about the airport is that it is HUGE! It was so big! We needed to change terminals so we took the train or monorail type thing which was fun. We got on our plane and got into Ft Lauderdale. 

When I got off the plane it was insane! So many different languages were being spoken and I didn’t understand any of them. I was ready to meet President Hale and go to the mission home.  So we got our bags from the baggage claim and were looking for missionaries or President or Sister Hale. We couldn’t find them. After about an hour of looking and being very frustrated, I decided to say a prayer. I was praying in my heart the whole time but thought I need to say a “real prayer”, so I did. After I said the prayer, I looked up and saw two missionaries walking towards us. I was so happy! Apparently the airline times were mixed up and they thought we were going to arrive two hours later. Oh well. 

So we loaded up and went to the mission home which is beautiful! Oh, by the way, it’s humid! We had dinner at the mission home which was real food! Café Rio Salads! So delicious! President and Sister Hale are so nice and kind. I am so grateful to have them as my Mission President and Mission President’s wife.

We spent the night in a hotel because the next day we were going to have a mission wide transfer meeting. Since President Hale was gone for so long he wanted to see everyone, so he decided to have a mission wide transfer meeting.  This is where I would find out what area I’m going to and also who my companion would be.   

When we got to the meeting there were so many people there! About  140 missionaries or so. I got assigned to Miami Beach with my new companion from Portland, Oregon. He’s in his last transfer, but definitely not “trunky”. He is a great missionary who works very hard. He’s really into music like me. He can sight read anything and he loves to sing so I’m very excited for this companionship. 

So right now I’m living in a little apartment on Indian Creek Road I believe. It is a nice little apartment. It definitely could be much worse. Outside is so beautiful! Miami Beach is an island and we have a bay on one side and the ocean on the other. So pretty! Everything is so green and there are palm trees everywhere. So pretty! 

Yesterday (Wednesday) we had a couple of teaching appointments. I didn’t say much because I couldn’t understand anything they were saying. They were Cuban;  However, the other  appointment was in English. That was better. It was a long busy day but it was very good. We did some street contacting and many people said they would like us to come visit them. Hopefully everything will work out. 
 
The people here are so kind and if you go up to them they’ll usually listed to what you have to say. They may not accept us but they’ll listen. Luckily, my companion speaks very good Spanish. We use our bikes every day.  It will take some time to get used to it since I’m terrible a riding a bike. Thank you for ordering it Dad! It’s a great bike! I’m so thankful to all of you for your support and I’m excited to be able to talk to you on Mother’s Day. I’m so thankful for all your prayers and letters of encouragement.

I need to remember not to be afraid  and just get to work and love it! I am so thankful to have a family like you! You are so supportive of me and I love you all so much! I know this is the Lord’s work and he is helping me do it. It’s a hard transition and it’s hard work but it’s a good thing, a very good thing.
Yesterday I was pretty overwhelmed with everything but glad to be out here. Hopefully, the language(s) will start to come. President Hale said don’t get overwhelmed with the language.  It will come! So I am sure it will. I need to do as much as I can and the Lord will do the rest. I am so thankful for that. 

Alright well, I need to get back to work. I know this is the Lord’s church and the Lord’s work. He knows everything. I’m grateful to my Savior for everything that He has given me. I love Him so much! I know this church is true! I love you all so much. Keep praying for me, my companion and for the people. I love you.

Elder David Fullmer


P.S. The only music that we’re allowed to listen to is the Mormon Tab. Anything else is not allowed. So, if you still have my iPod, if you could take everything else off I’d appreciate it. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment