Monday, May 16, 2011

May 16, 2011 letter

Dear Family,
 
It's been great to hear from you today. I love hearing what's been going on and what everyone is doing. Here in Florida we've had some rain, not a whole lot but we've had some. Yesterday after church a pretty big storm came through but luckily it didn't last long. Mostly it's just been very hot and humid. However I'm getting used to the humidity and sweating all the time. I've been sleeping a lot better lately and trying to get used to waking up in Florida. I get confused some mornings but it's kind of fun. 
 
My companion and I are doing really well! He's been teaching me many things and I've really enjoyed having him as my companion. The Spanish is still coming a long poca a poco (step by step.) But it's coming. It's frustrating at times because I want to understand what everyone is saying but I can't understand. However I'm trying my best. Cuban is still another language to me. I have a feeling that it'll be a while until I understand that. Ohh well...
 
Last week I talked about the woman who I gave a Book of Mormon to. Unfortunately as we were going to teach her yesterday they had to cancel because of work problems but we've got another appointment set for next Sunday. Hopefully everything will go well with that. 
 
One spiritual experience that I had, one of many, this week was on Saturday. We were going to a member's house for lunch, just like every Saturday, and we showed up and she invited a neighbor over for lunch with the missionaries. She is a black woman who has lived in Florida for a very long time. She speaks English, French and Spanish. Very smart woman. She has been a Seventh Day Adventist all of her life but she said that she's been looking for something different. She asked about missionary work and why we do what we do at such a young age. She asked us if we could share a message with her which we gladfully accepted. We taught about the Restoration of the Gospel and about the Book of Mormon. She had so many good questions which we were happy to answer. She commented many times about the way that she was feeling and said "I felt something when I picked up you plate and every time that you spoke." She just kept saying how good she feels. We asked her if she would pray and ask Heavenly Father if these things are true. She accepted and asked us to pray to Heavenly Father and ask if the Sabbath Day is on Saturday or on Sunday. We accepted and I look forward to teaching her more. She explained how she was supposed to go to church today but her son wasn't feeling very well so she decided to stay home and go over to Helen's. She testified that this was no accident. She said that God had but us in her way for a reason. She feels very prepared for the Gospel and definitely has a desire to learn more. The Sabbath Day issue is a tough thing for people to grasp down here in Florida. 
 
Afterwards she wanted us to play the piano for her. She said, "Play the song that speaks to you." I decided to play Come Thou Fount. I just played and the Spirit was testifying through the music. She said that she had never heard that song before but said again that she felt something different. It was a great experience! 
 
The members here are so incredible like I've said before. It's a lot different than in SLC because the missionaries are over one ward instead of a whole stake or two. We are able to know each other on a very close level. They love the missionaries and will help us out in anyway and every way that they can. I'm so grateful for them. 
 
As we go and teach some of the members, lately we've been challenging them to read the Book of Mormon as a family. I remember before my mission when we would read the book about Coming Closer to Christ, I think that's what it's called. However just when we would talk about the Gospel and about Jesus Christ I absolutely loved it! I wish we would have had scripture study more regularly as a family. I would invite you all to have regular scripture study, even though the family is smaller but I know that it will strengthen our Family.
 
I also have another proposal. Every morning at 9:00 we have this thing called mighty prayer. It's when everyone in the mission kneels down and prays. It doesn't matter where everyone is but it brings power to the mission. We pray for the people here in Florida, the missionaries, the mission president, pray for Cuba to open up to missionary work and anything we feel we need as missionaries. I would invite you to join mighty prayer. Every morning at 9:00 (7:00 Utah time) would you kneel down as a family and pray? I know that it will strengthen the mission and it will also strengthen our family. I want you to be a part of my mission. So would you please do that with me? I'd really appreciate it. 
 
Well I just want to let all of you know how much I love you! I cherish the times when I get to hear from you and I love how close our family is. We may be a little weird at times but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love us just the way that we are. I feel so blessed to have grown up in my life with the Gospel. So many people don't have this blessing in their lives and I've realized how much of a blessing it is for me. I know that this is the Church of Jesus Christ. He is the head and leader! I know that He is our Savior and Redeemer and that the Fulness of the Gospel is on the Earth right now! The Book of Mormon is the Word of God and it contains every answer to every question. Read it! Thank you for all of your prayers. I love you!
 
With Love,
Elder Fullmer

No comments:

Post a Comment