Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May 31, 2011 - Sunny Day in Miami Beach

Hello Fullmer Family!

First I have to start out saying that life is going well for me on my mission. This week has been absolutely crazy but it's been fantastic! I've really received a testimony of planning and how much you can get done when you have a plan, and also a backup plan.

This week we had many cancelled appointments but nevertheless we had a backup plan for everything and we were able to meet some many wonderful people who are interested in learning about the Gospel. It was so great to hear about what's been going on back home. The weather's been pretty crazy in Utah! Everyone who I tell that i'm from Utah the first thing the say is, "La Fabrica" which means "the factory" meaning the factory for producing missionaries! It's pretty funny! Then the second thing they say is, "Hace Frio!" which means, "It's cold." I say that during the winter it's cold but by now it's warm. I guess i've been lying to them because it snowed at our house yesterday! That's insane! I can't believe how much rain that you all have been getting. 

Suprisingly we've had one day of rain this past week. It was yesterday and it only rained for about five minutes. I'm sure I'll get my fair share of rain soon though. On Saturday our branch held a "Hurricane Preparation Meeting" which was exciting. I have to say it scarred me a little bit. Just to let you know mom that Miami Beach is an evacuation area and the whole island is required to evacuate. Plus the missionaries go to the Red Cross center and help volunteer. So no need to worry! I know that I'll be protected. Hurricane season officially begins today. So we'll see what happens.

A report on President Hale. He's is doing fantastic! I can't believe how well he's doing. He was describing his surgery and was saying how they had to cut through five layers of muscle in his lower back. He said that he didn't realize how many things are connected to those muscles but he said one of the only things that doesn't make him hurt is to smile so he's been doing that a lot. But He's keeping up with everything for the most part. He couldn't travel to us last week for the PPI's so we traveled to him which was nice. It's always nice to go to the mission home. It reminds me of our home. It's got a pool and it's a little bigger but the feeling is what reminds me of it. It's the Spirit that's in the home.
Yesterday I had my first baptism! He has a wife who's been a member her whole life and they have 2 kids! It was great to see him be baptized and to hear what he said when he came out. He said "I feel like a new man!" It was a great feeling! Also at the baptism two of our investigators came and both of them really enjoyed the baptism. One of our investigators has a baptismal date for June 11th. He's a Cuban man who we contacted my first day in Florida. I've realized that I can understand what he says. For the most part. Anyways he is such a strong person. He understands everything we say and knows how important prayer is. It's so cool to see. 

We taught him the word of wisdom the other day and I was a little afraid because Cubans love their coffee. After we established that he didn't smoke or drink we got to the coffee. We said, "The third thing we're not supposed to have is coffee." Immediately he said, "I drink coffee everyday but I'll give it up!" It was so cool. He knows that it's true and he'll do anything to be able to follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized. It was very cool to see. To answer your question dad about baptizing in the ocean... To be honest i'm not really sure. In our chapel we have a font but I don't know the rules about the ocean... I'll try and find out. 
On Sunday I gave my first talk which I spoke about the blessings that we receive because we know we have a loving Heavenly Father and that we are His children. I think it went okay... It was terrible! Haha. This next week (Thursday) we have Zone Conference and Sister Hale asked if my companion and I would do the musical number. We're going to sing Lead Kindly Light, as my companion is playing the organ and singing at the same time! He's an incredible musician! I think it's going to go really well. It's a Mack Wilberg arrangement so it can't sound too bad. Ha ha.

Something cool that happened on Sunday is that for the 5th Sunday meeting it was all about what members can do to help with missionary work. After the meeting, at about 5 o clock, a member called us and said during the meeting the name of a family came into her mind and she decided to go talk to them after church. She knocked on their door and asked if the missionaries could come and talk to them about the church and they accepted! It's so cool to see members stretch and do their part. It's so much more effective if the members are involved! I'm excited to go meet them tonight.

...Okay I've got to get going! I love you all so much and I'm grateful to be a missionary. It's definitely the hardest thing that I've done but it's so worth it. I come home exhausted everyday but I also come home happy. It's an incredible experience and I've been learning a lot! Thank you for all of your love and support. You're the best family anyone could ask for! I love you all :)
-Elder David Fullmer
P.S. Happy Birthday on Sunday Dad! I'll be sending home a birthday card so if you don't get it by your birthday forgive me but it'll be on it's way! The big 50! Congrats!
PPS. When is your anniversary? I can't remember

No comments:

Post a Comment