Monday, November 12, 2012

Greetings from the Florida Keys!

Dear Familia,

Feliz Navidad! I can't believe all of that snow!! That's so crazy... Not gunna lie, I'm not really looking forward to that in a few months... These past few weeks have been just right. It's pretty funny because you can tell the natives from the tourists because lately all of the natives have been wearing coats and scarfs because to them right now has been really cold! It got down into the high 60's and people were asking us, "how can you be in short sleeves? aren't you freezing?" We just laugh and tell them that they're crazy! Sorry to hear about all the snow but it's about that time again.

Yesterday we had a cool experience. So the senior missionary couple live right off of a little canal so their back yard is basically a canal. We came home from the baptism and there were three mannatee's out in the canal! Super legit! . Ohh yeah, we had a baptism yesterday!! ******  got baptized. He is a member referral from his fiancee. They're really cool. Apparantly he has been coming to church with her for quite some time but when Fantasy Fest was going on the Elders came up here (in Key Marathon) for a few weeks and the week before I came down here he was introduced to the missionaries. He invited them over for dinner and the rest in history. He has worked in like three different restaurants and his food is A Ma Zing!!

 Everytime we go over to teach him he feeds us and then we have lesson. I believe that's how every lesson should be :) So we had been teaching him for about two weeks and he was pretty hesitant about baptism. Last Tuesday we went and met with him, he made this breaded chicken bake thing with cheese and a sweet marinara sauce with asperagus.. Ohh yeah the lesson... We asked him how he's been feeling about baptism and he shocked us a little. He said, "I did what you told me to do and I prayed and I've been thinking about baptism a lot and know it's no longer if I'm going to be baptized. It's when..." I asked him, "Will you get baptized this Sunday?"  He said, "I work!" He then told us he gets off of work around two so we told him we can have a baptismal service at 2:15. We did! He works every other Sunday so next Sunday he'll be getting confirmed. It was such a nice baptism!

Another really cool experience that i had this past week was when we went to go visit the **** Family. About six months ago while I was serving in Miami we got a call to go give a blessing to a sister in the hospital. We went and it was this very frail old woman. We gave her a blessing and then a few months later I got another call for the same woman who was in the hospital for another medical condition. This time looking even more frail. I gave her a blessing thinking that she didn't have much more time to go but hoping that she would get better. Well,  I later got transferred to Belle Glade and never heard any more about her. Well when I got transferred to Key West I remembered how Sister **** lives in Key Marathon. I asked about her and this past week we went to go visit her and she has made a full recovery! She had open heart surgery and many other surgeries. However for the past month she has been able to walk to the end of her street daily, something she hasn't been able to do in four years. I talked to her on the phone before I saw her and she said to me, "Elder Fullmer, I was praying that you would come down to see me before you leave. The Lord has blessed me through you. I've been telling everyone I meet about the blessing and i know it's because of the Priesthood that you bear" She is known to the doctors as a walking miracle. She's in her mid 80's and she's doing amazingly well! There is so much power in the Priesthood and I'm so blessed to have been a part in this blessing and to see the results of the Lord's hand. They have a young man staying in their home who is now interested in learning the Gospel and will hopefully be baptized in a few weeks. This is the beginning of many reasons why I know I've been called to serve in this area at this time.
 
Well that's about all I've got to say. Thank you for all of your wonderful letters! Thanks Whitney and Marc for the great package with pictures and (kind of late) postcards :) I love you all and I hope you have a great week!
-Elder David B. Fullmer







No comments:

Post a Comment