Monday, May 7, 2012

Weekly Update (May 7, 2012)

Elders of Excellence- ZL Council
Dear Fullmer Family,
This week has been a great one! So much has been going on but it's all been really good, well for the most part. First off, thank you so much for sending me the package. I love the shoes, they're perfect! Thank you so much! I'm actually wearing them right now.

So now I have the joy to be able to tell you about what happened this past week. So yesterday I was able to confer the Aaronic Priesthood to our most recent convert yesterday. It was the first time that I've ever done that and it was really special for me. Things have been pretty tough for him lately. Last Friday, His wife left him. He was so sad. He said that it's for a lot of different reasons but it's not because of the church. We went over to see him after church and we just talked with him. He is an incredible man. He said, "most men would get mad and try to make her life miserable... I don't want that for her. I love her with all my heart and if I can't make her happy I hope she can find someone who can." He has the biggest heart in the world. As we were talking with him we were laughing, crying and he was teaching us some Cuban slang.
Haha. I have a long way to go to be like him. He's taught me so many things in such a short amount of time. Not only did his wife leave him but all of his family is against him for joining the church, however it's not slowing him down one bit. He wasn't able to make it to church last week and he told us yesterday, "I am never going to miss a day of church. I missed it last week for $60 however the way I felt today I will never miss it again." He's the strongest member that I know and he got baptized within 2 weeks of knowing about the church. I am continually amazed. Also, dad, could you send me my line of authority, you know showing the authority all the way back to Jesus Christ? I wanted to give it to him.
He loves the Miami Dolpin Stadium

So this week I was able to go on exchanges with our District Leaders. We're expected to do so once a month and when I was with the one in Downtown Miami it was one of the best days of my life. When I asked him what he wanted to focus on that day he said, "I want to be more bold." So we both said we'll invite everyone we bless to be baptized. So we went out and did it. Door after door people were accepting to be baptized on specific dates. Towards the end of the night, the other Elders in the same ward were having a baptism for two of their investigators. Since we were focusing on being bold I asked the District Leader, "Do you have anyone that could possibly be baptized tonight?" He thought about it and said, "There is one." We biked over to this person's house and she wasn't there... We called her but she didn't answer... As we were sitting there thinking of what to do, we both turned and saw her walking up the street. She got a huge smile on her face and said, "It's so good to see you! What are you doing here?" The district leader said, "Well we just wanted to share something with you... Umm... We were wondering if you... Well, How can I say this?" He looked to me for some help and I looked over to her and said, "We're having a baptism tonight... Will you get baptized?"
She thought about it and said, "Yes! I want to get baptized!" We said, "Alright, meet us at the chapel in 30 minutes." She got there and I interviewed her, found out she needed a second interview, set up an interview for the next morning and she was baptized the next day. Talk about bold right? It was a great day! I learned so much from that day and it made me want to be better!

Well I can't wait for Mother's Day on Sunday! We asked a member in our ward if we could Skype at his house and he said yes and said anytime that's good for us is good for him. I was thinking about 6:30 our time so that would be 4:30 your time. That gives you some time to get home from church. Would that work? I'm looking forward to it :)

I love you all so much and I'm so grateful for all of my many blessings. I've realized this week that there is so much I need to improve on but my perspective has changed from discouragement to excitement because I know that this improvement doesn't have to be done alone but with Jesus Christ. I love this work and I love being able to help others come closer to Christ! Have a great week and I'll talk to you soon!



-Elder David B. Fullmer

No comments:

Post a Comment