Monday, September 12, 2011

September 12, 2011 Letter

Hola! Como estan?

How is everyone doing? It was so great to hear from everyone! It sounds like everyone had a pretty good week this past week, except for football in Utah, but that's not really important. This week has been a great one for me and my companion. It's been exciting but at the same time pretty normal, nothing really out of the ordinary. However there were quite a few changes made in the Ft Lauderdale Zone last Wednesday with transfers. Well in our District the English Elders got put into another District and more Sisters came in. So right now it's my companion and myself with 4 sisters! I have renamed our district "RSD" or the "Relief Society District!" It's different but the Sisters really do work so hard. They have a special spirit about them. They can do so much more than the Elders can... well I think so at least. I've got a lot to learn from them! Other than that there hasn't been much out of the ordinary.

My companion and I have been waking up earlier every morning to we can work out longer. One of our investigators, (who's 9), his brother has a bench press in their garage where we go lift every morning. It's pretty ghetto but it's better than nothing. Sam, My arms are getting huge! Hahaha. 

Unfortunately another investigator was not baptized yesterday... We met with her pretty much everyday this past week and we just feel like she needs a little bit more time. Plus she still has to work on Sundays. So technically she can get baptized because she has been to church more than two times but we want to make sure that once she is baptized she can come to church to learn and to be strengthened. We have faith that she will find a way to be able to get baptized.

You also asked about a couple we are teaching... We gave a blessing on their home when we taught them for the first time... Unfortunately again they haven't called us back. Maybe we'll give them a call and see if they'd be willing for us to come over and teach them some more. We've been making really good progress with another couple we are teaching.  We've been teaching them a lot about the Plan of Salvation and they are loving it. They are really reading and having cool spiritual experiences. It's really neat hearing how they are recognizing when they feel the Spirit and when they don't feel it. The man has come to the knowledge that he doesn't feel the spirit when he drinks beer so he wants to quit. We haven't even mentioned the Word of Wisdom... I can't remember if I already told you about that... Anyways they're doing really well. It's always a joy to teach them. I always get so excited when I'm teaching them!

Dad, you talked about how President Foster spoke about Christ taking away our infirmities. I love those scriptures and I know that it's true. I have an experience that happened this past week that goes along with that. Before I came into this area, this sister in the branch got baptized. Now we go over about once a week and teach her and answer her questions. Before she got baptized she had a lot of health problems with her stomach and with her arteries... I don't even know everything. However she received a blessing before she was baptized and as of a few weeks ago all of her health problems are pretty much gone. She went back to the doctor and he said he doesn't know what happened but there's nothing wrong with her. It was amazing. However the past several weeks have been really hard for her. Her daughter (who's in her 20's or so) has suffered from bulimia for a long time. It's gotten to the point where her body just rejects food. She's been in and out of the hospital and now it's to the point where there's not much more doctors can do for her... The sister in the branch has had to take care of her four grand kids. However lately she has had pain again in her stomach and has been not feeling well at all. We visited her last Thursday where she seemed like she was doing fairly well. 

Normally we wouldn't go back for about another week but as we were planning Friday night I had a distinct impression that we needed to visit her on Saturday. I made some rolo cookies so we could just stop by and say we wanted to bring some cookies. (sounds like something I'd do right?) So anyways... when we showed up to her house on Saturday night she was a mess... The kids were absolutely nuts and she was in a lot of pain, both physically and emotionally. We helped her get the kids to bed and then we had some time to talk. I didn't know what we were going to say to her but I just did what I knew best... I pulled out my hymn book... (Sounds like me again right?) I turned to "Abide with Me." You all know how much I love this song and as I sang this I started to cry (that's not the first time I've cried during that song.) Anyways, the spirit filled the room. After that she was telling us about everything that was going on in her life, which is so much! I knew that we needed to give her a blessing. I asked her if we could and she said she would love it. I offered her a blessing and i just felt guided of what I needed to say. Afterwards she said, "Guys... The pain is gone. All of the pain is gone." We talked about how Jesus Christ took away her pain and her infirmities. It's so incredible being able to be prompted by the spirit and to be led to those who we are able to help. (Sorry this story was so long but i just kept going...)

Anyways... You asked if there was much talk about 9/11? There really hasn't been much talk about it. I can't believe that it's been 10 years! Crazy... You also asked about how my raincoat and umbrella work. I'm sure they work great! I just don't really use them. If it's raining, you're gunna get soaked! Haha.

Well this week has been a great testimony builder for me. We haven't had huge success in finding super prepared people but we have seen the Lord's hand guiding us to the places we need to be. I have so many things that I need to work on but I'm glad that the Lord recognizes that I want to help other people. I've been praying a lot for opportunities to help other people and I know that the Lord has guided me to those who need help. I know that this work is the work of the Lord. I know that I am a representative of Him and there is no better calling than that. I love this work and love being able to be here doing what I'm supposed to be doing. I love you so very much! You are what keeps me going! Have a great week!
-Elder David B. Fullmer

P.S. Sorry if this letter sounds weird... I've been sick lately and it's been hard for me to concentrate on things so sorry if it doesn't make sense... I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment