Monday, September 24, 2012

Birthday Email (September 24, 2012)


 Dear Fullmer Family,

Birthday Card Cover

Thank you all so much for your many birthday wishes! It was so wonderful to hear from many of you and also to see all of you on the birthday card. That was without a doubt, the coolest birthday card ever! Thank you all! I'm so blessed to have such an amazing family!

The branch that I'm serving in found out that it was my birthday a few days before and decided to throw me a surprise birthday potluck. This branch is amazing! They all have so much love for the missionaries and take really good care of us. One of the elders in our house called the Branch President's wife and told her it was my birthday this Sunday and they went all out! They got a Costco cake, Fried Chicken, homemade mac and cheese, salad, corn bread, lasagna, spaghetti... too much to say but it was all so delicious! They got me a birthday card and everything! They're so great! I had no idea either! Lots of fun! 
Inside his birthday card

Later on in the day we went to our investigator's house where they also made us dinner, (while watching the football game... Big temptation!) But it was very good! Now you all think I had a lot of food but it wasn't over yet! We then had dinner with the Branch President and his family. I didn't eat much at the last one but it was fun to be with the family. All in all it was a great birthday with wonderful gifts! Thank you again!

Also, this week was transfer week! I have a new companion from Brigham City UT! He lives about two blocks away from the new temple, so he was pretty bummed that he missed the dedication. He's been out just over six months, same amount as my last companion (they were companions in the MTC.) He's a great Elder! He loves to work but at the same time is very patient with my..err.. troubles :) I'm glad to be working with him. My mission trainer’s little brother went to the same district that I was trained in, the Miami Beach zone! Pretty cool! Funny story, my trainer,  went on an exchange in the area where his brother is serving about a week before he left and when he came back he said, "I'm glad I'll never have to serve in that area!" It pretty ghettoy (i don't think that's a word...) He'll love it though! I worked with his trainer when I was down in Miami. He's a great missionary! It was fun to see Elder *********, he looks just like his brother! 

Well there's not much to report about the tummy troubles, except that tomorrow I will be having a EGD where they'll put a camera down my mouth and look around in my stomach. Hopefully they'll find something! I'll also be having a CT scan on Friday hopefully. Luckily for the EGD I don't have to drink the Jugo de muerte! I just get to fast from midnight until the procedure at 1. I had to fast for the entire day before the colonoscopy along with the Jugo de muerte. So good luck Dad! Let me know how it goes! 

We had a great experience with one of our investigators this past week. We weren't really sure what he needed at that time so we asked him, what do you want to learn about and he responded, "forgiveness." We read with him Alma 36 and he got really excited, he then asked, "what did he remember his father saying about Jesus Christ?" It doesn't say in the scriptures but i took an educated guess and we then turned to Alma 7 and he felt the Spirit so strong! He said, "I finna get baptized!" (which means, I want to get baptized!) He then said the closing prayer and asked him at the end how he felt and he said, "I feel good, I want to cry!" He was feeling the spirit big time! This man is a big dude but the Spirit touched his heart. I love the Book of Mormon and the Spirit it brings. We went harvesting everyday and every day we found wonderful people. One of the blessings we left was with a very sweet woman. She opened the door and before we could say anything she said, "Come on in!" Since her husband wasn't home we couldn't because we are representatives of Jesus Christ, she said, "I just prayed for you to come! I was in the room praying and crying over my sister who just recently passed!" She then went on to say how she looked up on the internet about comfort from Jesus when we knocked on the door. We said a prayer with her at the door and the spirit was so strong. Mid way through the prayer, her husband showed up but instead of disrupting us he joined in the prayer with their daughter. They knew that we were sent by Jesus Christ. We told her to go to Mormon.org and to look up the Plan of Salvation. She said she would. We're going back over tonight!

 Well this week was pretty interesting but all in all it was great! I learn more and more everyday about the Atonement and the enabling power to keep going! I love this work, even though it takes everything out of me, but there is nothing I'd rather be doing. I love you all so much and hope to hear from you soon!

-Elder David B. Fullmer
back page of the card





No comments:

Post a Comment